Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Art and World Events Reaction

The events of Septemebr 11th have greatly affected the world as well as myself. Although at the time I was only 8 years old, i remember like it was yesterday. Sitting in a fourth grade class room in Springfield Queens, I was fortunate enough not to be anywhere near the World Trade Center. But the same couldnt be said for my mother who worked construction just a few blocks away, luckily she was on break at a cafe even further away. the events on that day have opened my eyes to the notion that anything is possible, never believe that you're untouchable...invincible. You can't control the beliefs and actions of other people.
The first work of art I will discuss only proves that there are many different opinions on the events of 9/11 and the mindset of people from different persuasions. The 9/11 terrorist attacks left many Americans hurt and confused causing many of them to point blame at Muslims. Walking through LAGCC's 9/11 exhibit I couldn't help but notice Serhat Tanylacar's "Kiss", a combination of a collection of New York Times articles and the American flag fused with jubbahs (muslim clothing). To me the sculpture has brought to light the harsh discrimination towards Muslims since that day. The "all muslims are trerrorist" stereotype has grown tremendously throught our country. It alsoreminds us that Americans werent the only ones affected by 9/11, so were muslims and that news papers should take into consideration that dozens Muslim Americans were also murdered.

Roger Hiorns's "Untitled (2008)" at MoMA PS1 in my opinion also reflects the events of 9/11. The sculpture displays a heap of grey and black ashes from a atomized passenger aircraft engine. Although the dicription said nothing about the terrorist attacks, watching the pile of ashes on the floor I couldnt help but think about the planes that struck the towers. What was left of the actual plane, its parts and the people aboard it? I thought dozens of human bodies and an airplane that probably weighed tons, all it was now was a pile of dust.
On display only feet away from Roger Hiorns sculpture was George Segal's "Woman on a Park Bench". As the woman sit elegantly with her legs crossed staring at the ground, I wondered if she was staring at the ahses. That thought sprung another, what if she were thinking the same thing I was thinking. Septemeber 11, 2001 started out like any other day for everyday New Yorkers. The woman looked as if she were doing what she did everyday, sitting on a park bench enjoying her morning, taking a moment to collect her self before starting the day. I imagined her shocked at the turn of events that day, staring down at the ground in disbelief as I would If she were me.
The Exhibits at both MoMA PS1 and LAGCC has allowed me to experience the many different views from people of all different religions. It has given me the chance to see things I havent payed attention to in the past. I makes me think. But above all it has kept the memory of the people that lost thire lives on that day alive, and reminds us that it should never be forgotten.

Serhat Tanylacar
"Kiss"
2011


Roger Hiorns
"Untitled"
2008

Geroge Segal
"Woman on a Park Bench"
1998

1 comment:

  1. right. We should remember it. even the terrorist attacks was passed 10years. someone, we have to remember such as firemen.

    ReplyDelete