Friday, December 16, 2011

Depictions of Design through the Years

The theme of my exhibit is going to showcase the variations of design throughout the years, “Decades of Design”. Whether it be the design of fashion, architecture and interior design, I believe it is just as interesting if not more. Rather than glimpsing at a painting on a wall, design allows you to interact with your art. Fashion design allows you to wear your art, while architecture and interior allow you to explore and create an atmosphere that reflects your mood, personality or interests. Design, especially fashion and interior, can also depict other works of art on its canvas.
During my visit to the Met, The American Wing proved to be a very interesting gallery. Its works, although many of them are from another time, made me feel as though I was home. “Library Table” was amongst my favorite pieces. The clunky Rosewood and the pearl detail on its sides, reminded me of the furniture used in many book room in wealthy Manhattan apartments. It wasn't to much of a surprise when i found that the table had been made in New York, by the Herter brothers who also lived in New York.
Walking through the Egyptian Art gallery, I couldn't help but stare at “Floral collar from Tutankhamun's Embalming Cache”. It brought to my attention that fashion trends over the last several centuries hasn’t changed very much, or it likes to repeat itself. With the exception of the replacement of papyrus, olive leaves, persea leaves and nightshade berries for diamonds, pearls, beads and jewels the design on the necklace is exactly the same, in fact I own a few myself.

Within the Medieval Art and The Cloisters gallery the piece I found most interesting was the “Window Frame”. The details on the windows frame seemed very personal. The architecture of today although i can be very unique, there isn't very much thought put into personable details like carvings and printed glass.

The works of art in my exhibition were mostly chosen from The Costume Institute gallery. They depict fashion trends throughout the decades. While chosing these works I often put myself in the time period and imagined myself in the clothes, it is my wish that viewers will do the same.


Herter Brothers
"Library Table"
1882


"Floral collar from Tutankhamun's Embalming Cache"
ca. 1336–1327 B.C.


Jacques Seligmann
"Window Frame"
15th century


"The Souper Dress"
1966–67



Gianni Versace
"Dress, Evening"
spring/summer 1991


House of Worth
"Court Presentation Dress"
ca. 1885


House of Dior
"Maria-Luisa"
spring/summer 1998


"Moulin à Vent"
House of Dior (French, founded 1947)
fall/winter 1949–50


Dress (Ball Gown)
ca. 1842


Dress, Evening
1925


"Dress, Evening"
Travis Banton
1934


"Ensemble, Evening"
Charles Frederick Wort
1887


Claire McCardell
"Dress, Evening"
1945


"Court Dress"
ca. 1750


"Apollo of Versailles"
Elsa Schiaparelli
winter 1938–39

No comments:

Post a Comment